Close Icon
Health and Safety Compliance for Holiday Letting

Our role as an agency is to ensure all of our owners meet all of their legal and safety obligations before letting their property.

Holiday lets are subjected to the same rules and regulations as long term tenancies. In this article, we go through some of the following regulations you need to consider when letting a property. 

  • Gas safety regulations
  • Electrical safety regulations
  • Fire safety regulations
  • Carbon monoxide 


Gas safety regulations

As a holiday let owner, it’s your legal duty under The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to ensure you have a Landlord Gas Safety Record (Gas Safety Certificate) otherwise known as a CP12 certificate. You are required to keep your certificates for a minimum of two years, however, we would recommend keeping all of them. Your letting agent will be able to keep these on file for you.

You are required to have all gas appliances checked between 10-12 months from the date of the last check by a Gas Safe Engineer. Different appliances may have different service intervals, but we recommend getting them checked every year as above. We would also recommend having all your whole gas system including pipework checked as well. 


Electrical safety regulations

Unlike gas, there is no legal requirement for you, the landlord, to obtain and renew an Electrical Safety Certificate. However, in Wales landlords are expected to provide a safe property for their tenants. This includes checking all wiring, appliances and fuse boxes are in full working order. We recommend regular visual checks to ensure everything is still in good working order.

The legal requirements of this are changing in England in 2020. Further guidance on how that impacts Wales is yet unknown. For guidance on this, please click here (,


Fire safety regulations

It’s up to you, the landlord to carry out a fire risk assessment to identify and remove/reduce potential fire hazards. This assessment will determine if there are any fire hazards and who is at risk. If you are unsure what to do, you can get a qualified fire consultant out to do the assessment for you. 

You are required to keep this assessment up to date.  We recommended that your holiday let is reassessed every 12 months or whenever the property changes, such as the addition of new furniture or a fireplace. 

During your fire safety risk assessment, there are certain things need to be evaluated and identified. The assessment focuses on the following areas:

  • Identify and remove/reduce fire hazards
  • Identify people who are at risk

It is a legal requirement for you to install a smoke alarm on every floor of your holiday let that is used for living space. Make sure alarms are placed in rooms that are most likely to cause a fire such as a kitchen or any room with a fireplace. 

We recommend installing alarms that are wired into your property with a battery back up. Try to include testing your alarms as part of your changeover process, this way you can ensure they are in full working order before every guest arrives. 


Carbon Monoxide

You are legally required to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in every room containing a fossil fuel appliance (oven, boiler or log burner). 

Please ensure you have your boiler and oven serviced and inspected regularly by a professional. 

A log burner or open fire is an extremely desirable feature If you have an open fire or log burner in your holiday let, then here are a few things you need to consider. 

  • Having your chimney swept annually
  • An adequate hearth
  • A suitable fireguard especially for children and pets

There are a lot of things to consider and keep track of. However, don’t worry a good letting agent will be able to advise and help with all of this. If you need any advice on anything discussed above, we’re more than happy to help!

*Note* all information is correct at the time of publishing (February 2020)

Get involved in the Discussion

Comments are closed.