by Menai Holidays
From North to South, East to West, Wales has a year’s worth of activities up its sleeve that has something to offer everyone! It is therefore not surprising that 2016 has been officially named the year of adventure in Wales. When the campaign’s official ‘Adventure Ambassadors’ are, Bear Grylls, Richard Parks, Maria Leijerstam and Tori James, you know you’re in for a treat!
So, whether it’s for a short break in the mountains, or a full week of seaside and coastal adventure, why not book your North Wales getaway today? Wake up in a cosy Welsh cottage, before setting off for an action-packed day, knowing you’ll have a roaring fire to come home to later. Ahhhh, perfect!
This is the year to step outside of your comfort zone! This is the year to find your very own EPIC adventure! Will yours be on a mountaintop, the crest of a wave, or crowd-surfing at your first ever festival? Here are some of North Wales’ crazy, wonderful and unique ideas to get the adrenalin pumping! With SO much on offer there’s no excuse for not getting out there and making it YOUR year of adventure in Wales!
1. The Gecko Surf and Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) School in Rhosneigr gives you the opportunity to enjoy the area’s breathtaking beaches whilst developing your ‘finesse’ in surfing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding – or both! They offer instruction in both disciplines, as well as and selling the kit if you decide you want to get more involved. With something for beginners and experienced enthusiasts alike, why not give it a go? They also offer kiteboarding lessons as well!
Tel: 07810 866 646 or 01407 811247
Address: Gecko, High Street, Rhosneigr LL64 5UQ
For other companies offering similar experiences, and activities such as kitesurfing, sailing, coasteering and kayaking, you might also want to take a look at the following:
2. The existence of Surf Snowdonia means you don’t even have to head to the coast to grab some waves anymore! Set in the lush beauty of the Conwy Valley, bordering the Snowdonia Mountain Range with a crystal clear lake – what’s not to love? Surrounded by wild and wonderful scenery, with something for first-timers and experts alike. Make sure to make it a part of your 2016 Welsh adventure!
The Surf Snowdonia Adventure Parc offers a revolutionary inland surf destination, and is one of Britain’s most exciting new outdoor adventure grounds. The powerful head-high wave rises from the centre of the lake, peeling perfectly for more than 150 metres, before abating gently on it’s shores. No more waiting for the surf. It’s there whatever the weather!
The 300-metre surf lagoon is the main attraction, however, there’s plenty more on offer from ‘thrills & spills’ on their Crash and Splash lagoon, to Stand-up-paddleboard safaris, kayaking – and even a soft play area for your little ones. I promise you, you’ll never have experienced anything like it!
Tel: 01492 353123
Address: Conway Road, Dolgarrog, Conwy, LL32 8QE
3. Snowdonia Watersports based in Llanberis, offer a varied and exciting range of adventures for everyone. Created in order to share the rewards of outward-bound pursuits and the great outdoors, they have a wide range of activities on offer from canoeing, kayaking and different sorts of ‘boarding’, to mountaineering and coasteering. So why not check out their website and start booking your very own Welsh mountain or water-based adventure!
You can choose from 2 hours of action, half-days, full-days – or even weekends and more! They cater for all ages/abilities – and also have a variety of crafts for hire.
Tel: 01286 879001
Address: Surf-Lines Ltd, Unit 2, Y Glyn, Llanberis, Gwynedd, LL55 4EL
4. The National White Water Centre is the main base for whitewaterafting and kayaking in Wales. Situated on banks of the River Tryweryn in the Snowdonia National Park, you couldn’t ask for a prettier place to paddle. The Tryweryn is a real-live, wild mountain river. However, it’s water levels are controlled via a dam, so it’s rapids are powerful throughout the year, meaning there’s never a bad time to visit!
Tel: 01678 521083
Address: Canoe Wales, Canolfan, Fron Goch, Bala, Gwynedd, LL23 7NU
5. Abersoch Sailing School pride themselves on their first-class tuition with all their instructors qualified to RYA standards. Situated in the heart of this pretty seaside town, they offer sailing lessons for all ages, as well as powerboat instruction. You can also hire dinghies, pedalos and kayaks too! Go on – stick your oar in!
6. Gotwood Festival, from the 9th to the 12th of June, will start your summer with a bang! This quirky little festival, set in the middle of the woods on Anglesey, is fast becoming a well-known, critically acclaimed, boutique event.
Site address: Carreglwyd, Llanfaethlu, Holyhead, LL65 4NY
7. Horse Riding and Pony Trekking is always a fabulous way to unwind and enjoy the great outdoors. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or used to being in the saddle, I know you’ll find something to suit you. Trotting through mountain passes or cantering along a beach, is something everyone should try at least once! So, ‘giddy-up’ and get going! Below you’ll find links to some of the best stables and equestrian centres North Wales has to offer:
8. Bounce Below is the first place of its kind in the world! You get to travel underground into a 176-year old disused cavern where, lo and behold, you’ll find yourself in a network of trampoline-like ‘springy’ nets! They’re hung at different levels, in 2 huge chambers, and all linked by walkways and slides! Having visited myself I can truly say it was money well spent, and a great way to tire out the kids! Everyone I went with had as much fun as me – adults and children alike! To avoid disappointment I’d recommend you pre-book your experience.
The BIGGER, BETTER, BOUNCIER experience reopens on the 14th of May – the original was insanely good fun, so I can’t wait to go back and see the improvements!
Located at the Zipworld Titan site at Llechwedd Slate Caverns in Blaenau Ffestiniog – you should definitely take a look what else this team of adventures have to offer! Their world famous Zip Wire is an experience NOT to be missed, and they now run Treetop Nets too! The website below will link you up with all their wild Welsh adventures – so why not bounce below?
Tel: 01248 601 444
9. There are loads of cycle and mountain bike companies in North Wales, offering everything from bike hire, tried and tested routes – to guided tours. Here are a few of my favourites – just click on the links to find out more:
Otherwise, just GET ON YOUR BIKE – and get pedalling!
10. Festival No 6, from the 1st to the 4th of September, is a truly enchanted way to end the summer! Set in the stunning Italianate village of Portmeirion, it hosts an amazing feast of music, drama, art, food… and so much more! This unique festival, with 5 star reviews from all the major newspapers, won the best small festival award of 2015 – and really isn’t to be missed! Seriously, for eccentricity, beauty and magic, visit their website to book your tickets NOW! Why not rent a local cottage and get the best of both worlds?
Tel: 0844 967 0002
As you can see, we’re totally spoilt for choice in this part of the world! Your year of adventure in Wales starts here! Be active, keep safe – and HAVE FUN!
To find the perfect cottage for your North Wales adventure holiday, take a look at our full range of cottages here.
Comments are closed.
Sign up to receive exclusive offers, competitions and the latest news to your inbox, and you'll be entered into our monthly prize-draw 3 times!
This beautiful part of the world that I am lucky enough to call home has some of the most...
Hit the ground running with our 6 scenic running routes From cycle races to triathlons, North Wales plays hosts...
As a forty-something, recreational runner, mum of two it’s no wonder my hands were shaking early Sunday morning trying...